Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Walking Dead: Volume 1: Days Gone Bye

Excellent read!  The show followed the book pretty tightly.  Though there are like 14 books in The Walking Dead series, so the show could veer off at some point, like TB did.  I need to get the rest of the books in this series.  It's an excellent and fresh take on the Zombie story.  My zombie reading is pretty minimal so I only have World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide (both excellent) to compare TWD too, but really well done and excellent art work.  I really like in the introduction by writer Robert Kirkman he says:
"I'm not trying to scare anybody.  If that somehow happens as a result of reading this comic, that's great, but really... that's not what this book is about.  What you now hold in your hands is the most serious piece of work I've done so far in my career.  I'm the guy that created Battle Pope; I hope you guys realize what a stretch this is for me.  It's really not that hard to beliece when you realize that I'm delving into subject matter that is so utterly serious and dramatic...
Zombies.
To me the best zombie movies aren't the splatter fests of gore and violence with goofy characters and tongue in cheek antics.  Good zombies show us how messed up we are, they  make us question our station in society... and our society's station in the world.  They show us gore and violence and all that cool stuff too... but there's always an undercurrent of social commentary and thoughtfulness."
  I couldn't agree more.  Night of the Living Dead just wasn't a great scary movie, but it's undercurrent of social commentary, in this case racism, was a also fantastic.  It dealt with an extremely important issue in the United States, at a time it was not only relevant but also volatile.  This is the beauty of Sci-Fi, horror, comics, they all take a stand and bring issues to light in ways that we don't at 1st realize and in ways that are far better than "legit" drama.  These genres take relevant, seriously important and at times volatile issues and present them in clever, unique and thought provoking material.  It's why I've always been a fan of these genres since I was a kid and continue to be a fan as an adult.  I can't wait to get the books in this series and devour them like a zombie on a slow fat kid!  Highest rating XXX.  Stay Booked! Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment